specs+spaces Editor, Dunn-Edwards Corporation, Allied Member ASID, CMG
BLUE: evoking the natural beauty and expansive feel of sky and ocean, blue is a breath of fresh air. Serene and restful, blue has been a beloved color for centuries, and its many shades set different moods. Light blues are sweet and celestial, mid-tone blues are crisp yet soothing, and deep blues are reminders of power, security and trust.
Making Blue Work: promoting rest and relaxation, blue is beautiful though it needs an infusion of warmth to make the room cozy. Here are some tips to warm blue up:
- in a blue and white color scheme, select an off-white, creamy color, which is warmer than pure white
- use bright pink or a rosy taupe to offset the coolness of a watery or metallic blue
- combine blue with dark wood flooring or furniture to add depth and richness
- utilize textiles with pattern and texture to make sure a blue color scheme doesn’t become boring
- in an all-blue room, limit the palette to two blues – a tint and shade of the same hue – and select accessories in intense or bright hues
- warm up a blue space with accessories in antique brass, terra-cotta and brick-red coloring
Stay tuned for next week's continuing color studies as we explore Purple!